Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tham denies having joined Gerakan


GEORGE TOWN (Sept 28. 2008) :
Former Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) member Datuk Tham Nyip Shen, who resigned from the party after it left the Barisan Nasional (BN) recently, has denied that he is ready to join Gerakan.

Tham, who is a former deputy chief minister of Sabah and a SAPP founder member, said he was more keen on pursuing his business than getting back into politics for the time being.

"I am very close to Gerakan," he admitted.

"I pulled out of SAPP because it left the BN… But now, I don’t know if Gerakan will also leave the BN."

Tham said this at a Teh Tarek forum on Sabah politics organised by Gerakan National Political Training Bureau and the Satu Academy at the Gerakan state headquarters here.

He also denied that he would cross over to join another opposition party of the Pakatan Rakyat.

"I will probably stay out of politics," he said. "It is very difficult to divide my time between politics and business."

He said he resigned as SAPP member as he had in the last general elections helped the party by asking voters to support the BN.

"I have worked with the BN government for so long. If I were to suddenly work with the opposition, it would make no sense," he said, adding that BN had done a "fair bit" for Sabah.

No comments: